Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Fair Lay Vah Lees

I'm doing the last minute mad dash to get ready to go the United States for the holidays. I was hoping to be starting another home refurbishing project while there, but it looks like it's not to be. No worries.  I'll just enjoy the holidays with my family and friends and try not to be too conspicious as I park myself at the home of this person or that during the 2 months. Most of my time is spent at my sister and brother-in-law's home. My poor brother-in-law. I am quite sure he didn't sign on to have a sister-in-law who visits twice a year and seems to stay…and stay….and stay!

As I was packing and cleaning yesterday, I found a little post-it note in the suitcase that I used for this same journey a year ago. I'm not sure why I saved it but it cracked me up when I found it.

At the time, while staying with my sis, I was expecting a call from France. From somebody who did not speak English. I needed to go out and knew I wouldn't be there to take the call. The idea of answering a phone call in French raises panic around those parts so I posted a note by the telephone to help out whomever should answer the phone.

Here's the note.

No this is not Hungarian, Sundanese or even Pig Latin. This is apparently my version of phonetic spelling.

In real French it would go like this: 

Elle n'est pas ici en ce moment. Elle fait le shopping avec ses enfants. Elle va revenir vers cinque heure.

Translated this simply means:

 "She isn't here at the moment. She's shopping with her kids. She'll be back around 5 o'clock".

It seemed so simple. In reality it was not and no usable information was passed between the two parties. I guess I need to work on my phonetic spelling.

This year, Jennie, I promise no phone calls and no home improvement projects. And Dan, I'll try to not hang my drying underwear all over the bathroom. And I will cook Thanksgiving dinner in its entirety (my first Thanksgiving home since 2008!).

Your sister ay tray um-pah-see-ahnt duh reh-veh-neer shay voo.


Photobucket

P.S. Provence Rugs will be offering free shipping from November 23rd until Christmas Day. Our new Brocante items will be on the site starting tomorrow. Yippee!

hint

13 comments:

  1. Umm, you definitely had me stumped with that title. I can imagine you sititng there writing that note, sweating over that note -- all to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can read French a little. I can speak a few sentences - enough to get by in person. Conversations in French are not going to happen, especially over the phone when you don't even have the luxury of lip reading. All of the words run together for me. I'm working on it though. Safe journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, did Jennie ever have to answer the call? Harder to decipher those "words" than to speak!
    Bon voyage mon amie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me a while to work my way through the phonetics. Actually I'm glad you wrote the translation because I got a bit stumped. :)

    Hope you have a lovely vacation and Thanksgiving in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to hear my granddaughter sing like this...fair the whell my fairthy fay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just as I thought!
    It's easier to learn the language than to get to grips with the phonetics!

    Have a great trip...where are you going to dry your underwear?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everybody seems to be going home for the holidays, how wonderful!
    Have a great trip and enjoy every minute with your loved ones.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is too funny!
    Safe trip home, happy holidays and cheers to toasting a glass of wine in the New Year together x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, great message. Sometimes the French is easier than the English phonetics!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Have a safe trip home x x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your francais a la americaine. I am going to share this post with my sis & brother in law since I often camp in their guest room during my sejours back to the Midwest. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your francais a la americaine. I am going to share this post with my sis & brother in law since I often camp in their guest room during my sejours back to the Midwest. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So you already left, I hope that you had a lovely Thanksgiving with your family.
    The message is great, more poetic than phonetic.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!