Friday, July 26, 2013

Life is a Beach

I'm resting myself today after two days in a row at the beach. Yes, I know, EVERYONE is at the beach at this time of year in the south of France. But I've got a perfect spot that takes only a slight effort to reach but once there makes the effort so worthwhile. Though not perfectly private and not sandy, there are fewer people and the snorkling is great. Okay, it's not the Seychelles but relatively speaking, it's not bad. And there is just something so restorative about the sea. All it takes is a whif of salt water and I feel better.

To get to my favorite place (notice I'm not telling you where), I have to pass by the throng of plebeians on the regular beach (the poor sardines) and I can't help but make comparisons to beaches in the United States.



What you do see here is the usual stuff;  families, singles, couples, lounging and swimming, enjoying their moments of sand, sea and sun.  Of course, one of the differences is the preponderance of topless women and speedo clad men, but I've already talked about that here, and it's really just a given.  But also what I note is that most women, no matter what their size, shape, or age, are wearing bikinis. I remember my first trip to the beach here in France. I was thinking I was all that because I was actually wearing a two piece. The bottoms were a little skirt and the top also had a skirt that covered up my stomach. Of course, I did not buy this little number in France. In fact, I've never seen one like it here. But my back was exposed and I really thought I was something. Within minutes after settling myself in I realized I looked more burka-clad than bikini-clad and some changes were in order. But where I come from, if you're not close to perfection, as in young, thin and no stretch marks, you wear a one piece. It's just expected. Here, after I got my game on and trepidatiously bought my first bikini in 30 years, I realized if they don't care, I certainly don't and it allows me to feel far less self-concious about my body. This is a very good thing. It's also far easier to go topless! I do notice however, that when I don said bikini while in the states, I revert back to shame. Very sad.

What you don't see are blankets laden with giant coolers containing a 24 pack of beer or bags of chips strewn around the claimed space. What? The beach with no beer…no salty snacks? Is this possible? Of course, people eat at the beach. They extract their sandwich, fruit or salad out of their tiny cooler at the appointed meal time, nibble away, and put everything back again after meal time. The french are sticklers for appointed meal times and they don't really snack, even at the beach. They may drink a beer or a glass of wine but I don't see it often. It's all so very civilized! And it might explain why there are more bikinis but that's another article.

I've staked my claim at my spot on mystery beach and my girls and I have vowed that we must go at least once a week until the season is thoroughly finished. In our bikinis and without the Doritos, damn it! It really doesn't get any better than this. We're lucky to live here and we know it.



I hope you are all having a wonderful summer.

Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. The French are thinner because they don't eat all day long. When our kids were little, we always took the cooler filled with food and drinks. Now that we live at the beach, we don't take any food. Just a book and a cool drink. But, I am always in my one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo jealous. If I could take our place just for a summer, heck, even a week. Oh, well. I'll try to be content with my front porch for a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. French are thinner...? Not my neighbours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine either Fly. But as a rule, they've got us Americans beat!

      Delete
  4. What a great perspective! I love that they wear bikinis without feeling self conscious! Nice place to be...I have just left work as I knew it so since I am free now, I think I may get over there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous of your little spot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel, the same way... we are very lucky to be here, especially in the summer! (although I think I would chuck my bikini in a heartbeat back in the US :) and we too have a secret beach, the only way to go at this time of the year! Enjoy your summer :) Tuula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you to have found a perfect beach spot! There really is nothing like spending time at the ocean. Enjoy the summer, Delana. It goes by fast, as I'm sure you know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wear a one piece, after 5 pregnancies I feel more at ease, but if I look around my body is (almost) perfect in comparison to some old, and not so old, whales...
    Europeans women have no sense of property anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  9. gosh haven't gone to the beach in.. what 20 years?

    ReplyDelete
  10. gosh haven't gone to the beach in... what 20 years? don't even own a bathing suit anymore

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have both, but don't usually go to the beach in the summer because of traffic, crowds and sunburn. Out of season I do enjoy taking a picnic with a bottle of rosé and chilling out with some friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, so jealous. I don't even dare visit a beach unless I'm wearing shorts and a T.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a fun blog to stumble upon. i love france more than anything and i'm so envious you are living there! XO
    the well-traveled wife

    ReplyDelete
  14. To some, finding a beach like you is such a treasure. I'm glad you found your spot!

    Jana
    expatforever.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!